How To Measure & Photograph For Your Virtual Design
Follow the instructions below to measure and photograph your room. It takes about 15 minutes per room. You’ll need a measuring tape, pencil, paper and your phone.
Step 1 – Drawing the Floor Plan:
- Sketch the shape (layout)of the room using a pencil paper.
- If multiple connecting rooms are to be designed, please show how these rooms connect and measure on one sheet of paper.
- Make sure to label each room for reference.
- Don’t worry about drawing the room perfectly or to scale – that’s what I’m here for!
- If the direction of the sunlight in relation to your room is important, label each wall as either North, South, East, or West accordingly.
Step 2 – Overall Measurements:
- Measure the entire length of each wall, corner-to-corner (ignoring doors, openings and windows – we’ll get to those next) and mark this on the floor plan in inches or feet/inches.
Then Add The Details:
- Once the entire length of each wall has been measured and recorded, measure each wall in detail.
- Start in the corner, measure the distance to the casing of the first window/door/opening and mark on the drawing. Include how high each window casing is from floor.
- Next, measure the width of the window (include casings) and mark on the drawing.
- Measure all items on entire length of each wall.
- Items of importance to include: Doors, windows, built-ins, fireplaces.
- Repeat steps for each wall in each room.
And Double Check:
Once the entire length of each wall has been measured and recorded, measure each wall in detail.
Step 3 – Final Touches
- Note ceiling height and approximate light fixture placement.
- Add locations of TV Jack, electrical outlets, thermostats, electrical panels, air returns in relation to floor and nearest wall.
Step 4 – Photographs
- Take photos during the day.
- Remove clutter.
- Start in one corner and work your way around the room.
- Take a photo from every angle – each corner and each wall – of the room.
- Capture part of the floor and ceiling in each photo.
- Number each photo and label to the corresponding place on the flooplan from which it was taken.
- Take a photo of any furniture you want to keep in the room and submit that with full measurements of each piece.
- Consider doing a video walking us through the room and showing us areas around it. We want your space to flow cohesively from one room to another. So, providing us a view into surrounding other rooms or hallways, does help the design process!
Step Five – Submit Via Your Client Portal
Submit your room measurement(s), photos/video, and a link to your Inspiration Board (Pinterest, Houzz, etc) via your client portal.